Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Bear Facts

Bear Lake has existed for at least 200,000 years. 20 miles long, 8 miles wide, and more than 200 feet deep in some places, it is pretty much equally divided between Utah and Idaho. This is the lake where I learned to shore jump and where I cheated my family out of a full week of waterskiing. I am still pretty bummed about that. There is also the issue of that last French fry, and an overnight stay in the Paris (Idaho) hospital. Oh, the memories.

When Tanja asked if I wanted to run the Bear Lake 1/2 Marathon it took me all of 2 seconds to say, "Yes!" I hadn't been back since I was 14 and this would be as good of a reason as any. June 8th found us heading up beautiful Logan canyon, finally on our way 5 months after making the committment and registering. I couldn't help but notice how much climbing we were doing and wonder how I would do with the altitude difference (wasn't a problem!) And then we saw the view of the lake from the top of the mountain. It took my breath away. I apologize for overusing the words, "gorgeous", "exquisite beauty", and "awe-inspiring" the whole time we were there. Actually, no I don't, but I will try to develop a larger vocabulary to describe this place.



The first order of business was to find the cabin Tanja and Brad had rented. We had no idea what to expect, and that was part of the adventure. All we needed was a place to fix dinner, sleep, and clean up after the race - we aren't very picky. Needless to say, we were pretty impressed with the digs: great views, decks, 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, immaculate and beautifully decorated. Nobody was disappointed!




Next we headed to the check-in station and picked up our packets. It was great to see what a family and community event it was. Preteen kids were helping pass out goodie bags and make sure people knew how to find their bib numbers, etc. I loved the low-key, relaxed attitude. Two women waiting in line behind us asked me if I had run that day. I told them I usually don't run the day before a longer run. They looked confused. As we talked a bit more I learned that they were participating in the Back-to-Back - they had run a full marathon around the Idaho side of the lake that morning, and would run another full marathon around the Utah side of the lake on Saturday. So, if people who run 1/2 marathons are only 1/2 crazy, what does that make them??!

When we finished there we decided to take a look at the race route. I was so excited to see how beautiful the entire run would be.

East side of the lake, just a bit north of the starting line. Our run took us around the southern tip of the lake to the opposite side.

My pictures do not do justice to the color of the water. It is varying shades of turquoise. The color is created when the sunlight reflects off suspended particles of calcium carbonate in the water from ancient seas.

Lynette, Janielle, Tanja and Brad dig in.
Dinner was a yummy pasta recipe Tanja pulled from Pinterest


Sunrise - the morning wasn't nearly as cold as we had understood it would be, thank goodness! The overcast skies and cooler weather were actually just perfect for the run.

 (Thanks for loaning me your long-sleeved tech shirt, Soren!)

 While we waited at the starting line Mitchell and Curtis were running around on the mountainside next to the road. One of the best moments of the morning was when they came running and yelling with excitement, "BONES!" Both had their hands full of bones. (Deer? Coyote? BEAR?) Loved it.

Now seems like the appropriate time to mention how strong and amazing Tanja is. I was so very impressed with her determination. As we were driving up the canyon the day before she realized a migraine was coming on, but didn't say anything right away. The pain was still there in the morning, and about 20 minutes before we left to run she took some medicine. She was fighting nausea the entire time we were on the bus riding to the start line. Poor Tanja. She was also suffering from what she thought might be asthma, but we learned later was the onset of an upper respitory infection. The first several miles went alright, but around mile 5 or 6 her knees were hurting pretty badly. She had ibuprofen with her, but didn't know if she could take it with the other medicine she had already taken. She just toughed it out, and it was so very, very tough. She ran every step, and just. would. not. stop. Nor did she complain. There were no hills to speak of, but the road was pretty steeply banked in some places, and that didn't help the knees any. Also, it was open to traffic both ways, and that also created some challenges.
Every time I run I learn something about myself. I think the most important thing I learned from this run was how proud I can be of this incredibly strong daughter. Thank you for your amazing example and courage, Tanja.

 OK, so we did silly side kicks just before crossing the finish line. Next time we'll wait until after we cross so it doesn't look like she had to drag me across!


One must make sure one indulges in a famous Bear Lake raspberry shake.
My mom does it with real finesse! (The pizza was terrific as well.)

The weather wasn't warm enough to enjoy the lake and the beach, but we needed to do something fun for the kids who had been very patient with all the race support. Rickshaws were a great choice. I thought it would be fun to have the menfolk pedal us around while our tired legs rested. Wrong. We had to pedal too. My quads didn't like it at first, but I think it turned out to be a really great way to stretch and keep from tightening up.





I do think it was just as much fun for the adults, if not more so. We kept switching around on the carts, mixing things up. And in the final leg the women were victorious! Yes, Tanja, Rachele and I, with solid help from Mitchell came into the home stretch first!



 Super Slumber Party at the Daltons


Sunday morning we were treated to coffee cake and cinnamon rolls :)

After church we headed to the Bunkers, who had just returned Saturday from a week of camping and exploring in South Dakota, to celebrate Kyle's 6th Birthday! 

Brei makes her kids' birthday cakes however they describe what they want ~ 
I loved this festive Lion Cake


 Jill ♥s ice cream!

 Kyle was a pretty happy birthday boy!

Jake has some interesting tricks. He also wrote and rehearsed a hysterical poem that he, Elena & Mitchell sang for us.  


After dinner Brad & the kids played outside while the rest of us relaxed and visited.
Brei and I stayed up until (use your imagination) a.m. talking. It was a perfect ending to a pretty perfect 5 days with family.


Back to the Beginning

The day I arrived, Wednesday, was Aubree's 4th Birthday and the last day of school for Mitchell & Curtis. The neighborhood has a last-day-of-school bash, complete with jumping castles, face painting, chalk drawing, goodies, and moms sitting around visiting while kids play merrily.





For Aubree's birthday Soren and Rachele served up some yummy grilled food, salad and queso, and then the BiRtHdAy CaKe!

Sunny, Hyrum, Noah and Eli joined us - brave Sunny venturing out with her 3 boys solo for the first time! It was so fun to see all of them. Of course, we missed Derek.

I finally get to meet Eli

Crash

Thursday morning Rachele and I went to the temple for an early morning session; after, Soren and I went for a run together. Love the one-on-one time with my kids!

The 1st day of summer vacation meant an easy-going morning for the kids, with time to play with friends and more BBQ for lunch.




Yum, for sure!

Then everyone pitched in to get some chores done.

 Spreading bark chips on the flower beds was a true team effort

Love the boots



 Smoking the bees to check the honeycombs - fascinating



Then it was time for more fun!





And that was when my camera's battery died :(  

But we sure had us some fun, and Mitchell and Curtis dazzled their grandma with their dirt bike abilities!


Shout-outs:

Thank you to my sweetheart who supports me unconditionally, even when it is from afar. He had really hoped to come (and certainly deserves a break), but doesn't hold it against me when I take off without him. You are my rock.

Thank you to my mom, Soren, Rachele, Mitchell, Curtis, Aubree and Brad who were our support team at the lake. It helped so much to have you there. You were even willing to put up with sweaty, smelly hugs at the finish line!

Thank you to family and friends from afar who gave encouragement and support. I am truly blessed with the best people in my life.

Thank you, Birgid, for letting me use your cute little Beetle to get around. It was so much fun to drive, especially in the canyons. Love the low center of gravity!

                                    

Early Friday morning I drove up Provo Canyon to pick up my mom in Heber. The drive past Bridal Veil Falls and around Deer Creek Lake was so sweet and full of happy memories. I only got to see my cute sister Sandy for a few minutes, but it was better than a kick in the pants. Then mom and and I headed down Parley's Canyon and up to Layton to meet up with Tanja. Everything came together so well, thanks to my incredible family and friends.

And now I can tell anybody there's no need to be afraid of a little ol' Bear (Lake Marathon) Maybe next time we'll go for the Back-to-Back!










2 comments:

  1. Oh, I did too complain!! You have an optimistic memory because I think you blocked it all out. I had so much fun with you and being able to spend all that time with family. It was a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you didn't, but you were honest about the pain if I asked how you were doing. Other than your pain and suffering I think it was a perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete