Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Revolutions and Resolutions

My last post scared me pretty badly - I've been afraid to write anything because it might ruin that nice blank page....



Regarding New Year's Resolutions: once upon a time I would make a list of everything I hoped to accomplish in the new year.....until the year our family sat around on New Year's Day and wrote out our lists, sharing our goals and hopes for the year ahead. We then tucked them away in our Christmas stockings to evaluate at the end of the year. If memory serves me correctly I was mortified by my failure to accomplish many, if any, of them. That was the year I revolted and permanently gave up on the idea of make resolutions just because the earth had made a complete revolution around the sun.

However, don't be too alarmed by my seemingly lackadaisical attitude. I do look ahead with great anticipation to all the possibilities awaiting, and make plans for how I can make the most of them. For instance, 2011 will bring the following, regardless:

  • Keven's 60th Birthday (actually, past tense - but we are celebrating in a few weeks with a get-away weekend!)
  • 37 years of wedded bliss - seems like an eternity already! (j/k)
  • Baby Bunker due in May. We are hoping for a Cinco de Mayo birthdate - just think of the fiestas that kid can have! And it would be just one day before:
  • Tanja is awarded her Master's degree from USU!!!
  • Our Davis Family Reunion is slated for June and we will be helping Aunt Alice celebrate her 100th Birthday!
  • Baby Gonzalez is due in July, and chances are he/she could be born on Bobbi's birthday or Grandma Hallie's birthday. It is true: our 11th grandchild will be born in 2011. (More meaningful trivia: our first was born in 2001).
  • Mitchell, Elena and Gabe all turn 8!!! 3 baptisms!!!
Yup, we're gonna stay busy ~ :) 
If I missed any other monumental upcoming events my kids will let me know immediately, and I promise to make  it right.


 Speaking of resolutions, Soren helped me break one that I've kept for 29 years:

The famous rolled tacos soaking in greasy tomato water
I am sooooo glad that I can say I have eaten at Chico's Tacos because now when anybody asks me to go there again I can say, "No, thank you," and justify the reasons why I don't want to go back!

(Sorry, familias Christensen and Maestas - and any others who love Chico's!)

As we left Soren wanted us to pose for a picture in front of the sign. With only the tiniest hint of sarcasm, I made the comment "I have eaten at Chico's" a little bit too loudly I guess, because a group of people just leaving the restaurant heard me and started laughing really hard. This is why Keven and I are laughing in the picture.  They probably thought we were out-of-town gringos who had just had a fabulous culinary experience.

5 comments:

  1. BUSY year for you guys! It will be a fun year too. Get crackin' on that weekend get-away, or it will get-away from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me when I say the following phrase is not meant to cast any personal connotations your way.
    "You can't teach an old dog new tricks", meaning, had you broken that 29 year old resolution a long time ago, perhaps your youthful taste-buds would have really appreciated the fine dining cuisine available at Chicos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the picture of the Chico's Tacos, it looks like Keven's hands are gesturing something like, "Whatever it takes to get us through this meal Lord, I'll pay it, or I'll do it, just help us out on this one."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now it might be considered un-American (or at least un-Texan) to not love and crave Chico's

    ReplyDelete