Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Long Walk

Today Kris took a walk. He walked from our neighborhood to the Circle K, which is a little more than 1/2 mile. He does that a lot. But then he kept walking. He walked along Country Club Road, crossing the Rio Grande. He walked all the way to the railroad tracks near Doniphan (about 3 miles) where my friend Jenn saw him walking when she was taking her daughter to Achievement Day. She called me, just to make sure I knew where he was. I didn't - I had just arrived home (I had not seen Kris when I was driving along Country Club, but I had gone to the post office in Santa Teresa and had to come home a funny way because of construction). Jenn dropped her daughter off at the church and then went back to get Kris. She couldn't find him. Her son went into Howdy's, The Dollar Store, and Walgreens, but could not find Kris. By now I had called Keven and he was already in the area on his way home, so he started looking too.

Jenn finally saw him, sagging against a post at Hollywood Video, and Keven drove up just a minute or two later. Kris was dehydrated and beat, but of couse he would not admit it; he certainly didn't want any water - it was only about 85 degrees and he was in his typical sweatshirt and jeans!

I had called him when I was leaving work to let him know we would take his game back when I arrived home. I guess he thought he would meet me along the way.

I keep wondering what would have happened had Jenn not seen him. All's well that end's well, but this shook us all up a bit.

6 comments:

  1. Wow so glad he's safe and that all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of him though! I thought you were going to say that he walked all the way to the Elephant Hike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day - I have goals! But that is what he was wearing yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personal GPS :) http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/covert-small-gps-tracking-device.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. yes, get him a personal GPS.

    i am with tanja though..i thought you were going to talk about a hike. that is scary. i hope you told him he doesn't get to do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking of an imbedded GPS, thanks for the idea. I don't think he will try it again, I think he was pretty worn out and more than a little bit concerned.

    ReplyDelete