Thursday, June 24, 2010

Two Truths and a Lie

  From time to time I will make a comment about a childhood event, mention something about an extended family member, or refer to some well-known family incident, and one of my children will say, "I never knew that. You never talk about stuff like that - how come you haven't ever told me that???" And I am reduced to a quivering, guilt-ridden puddle of melting Jell-o because of all the family history stories I have kept to myself, denying my children a part of their heritage.

     And yet I am pretty sure that I talk about myself and my family way too much and share more details than most people want. So many of the things I find fascinating, delightful, interesting, unusual, noteworthy and important enough to share with the panhandler on the corner of Mesa and Doniphan are probably quite boring to anybody else.

     Because I believe that I have shared most, if not all, of the unusual and even embarrassing events of my life with my family (well, except for what happened when I was on a long hike with a guy and all of his aunts, uncles and cousins), I am giving my kids a chance to prove that they actually listen to me once in a while.

     Following are three statements. Two of them are true and one is a lie. I will reveal the correct answers only after all six of my offspring have given me their answers (it’s cheating if you call Grandma Snider or any of my siblings for help). If you are not one of my natural-born children you are invited to weigh in and  humor me with your best guesses.

1. My nickname growing up was Shirley Temple because of my naturally curly hair.




2. I once had a job where I was taken to work in a limousine, and I would often wear red shoes.



3. I cut holes in my sister's clothes once when we were fighting.


6 comments: