Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Into The Woods

I recently took a little test via a video clip. The trick was to count the number of passes two teams of three made with their teammates. One team wore black, the other white, and they were passing basketballs between and around each other at a rather slow pace. At the end of the timed test I had counted a total of 17 or 18 passes, and I was pretty sure I was right. It hadn’t been THAT hard.

And then an interesting question: had I noticed anything unusual during the test? Nope, nothing at all. The same clip was replayed and instead of counting passes I watched for what I had evidently missed. How did I miss a man in an ape suit dancing right through the middle of the group and raising his arms in a triumphant cheer? I went back to the first part of the clip to make sure it wasn’t a joke – and there he was again. I really had not seen him, and it scared me. I know that I get pretty intense when I am working on something, and occasionally I realize I’m oblivious to anything else going on – but this was blatant. So what other amazing, unusual things have I missed when I’ve been so involved I don’t see the forest for the trees? What have I missed as a mother? A wife? A daughter? A sister? A friend? How often am I so deep into the woods that I can’t see the forest for the trees? I think this is yet another reminder to stop and smell the roses....or the moss on the trees.



And just in case you are interested, January 30th was National Gorilla Suit Day. Mark it on your calendar so you don't miss it next time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment