Sunday, September 25, 2011

Forget-Me-Not's

 

I loved being able to attend the annual General Relief Society broadcast tonight. I loved that I was surrounded by so many beautiful, talented, kind, happy, positive, radiant women - and that so many of them I call my dear friends. And my role models.

I love that our stake has a long tradition of having a simple but beautifully presented meal to share together, and that we are served by our Stake Presidency and the high councilmen, with many an Aaronic priesthood holder helping as well. Priesthood Power!

I loved the music. And seeing the Conference Center filled to capacity with more beautiful, talented, kind, happy, positive, radiant women. Probably some of my friends were in that group too. And definately some role models.

I loved the messages that were given:
     Sister Beck's profound insights about discipleship, reminding us that our efforts as visiting teachers are extensions of our discipleship and should resemble the Savior's. She motivated me to seek to take the higher path and to truly care about the spiritual and temporal welfare of the sisters I visit.
     Sister Allred touched my heart as she taught us about charity and ministering to those around us. She is an angel of a woman; I came to see this first hand when she was in El Paso for a special Relief Society conference earlier in the year.
     I appreciated Sister Thompson's words about keeping covenants. This past week in Seminary we have talked extensively about the Abrahamic Covenant, and the promise of eternal families. As she referred to what our families will find as they go through our things after we are gone, she asked, "Will they find evidence that we have kept our covenants?" jarring me. I hope my children and my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren never, ever have reason to question my love for my Father in Heaven and my Savior, nor my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I hope that by the way I live my life they will always know that I am trying to honor the covenants I have made and be worthy of the blessings of an eternal family. And that my greatest desire is that there will be no empty seats there.
     President Uchtdorf always delights me. I loved his message. And now I love forget-me-nots even more than ever! I will commit to memory the 5 things he asked us to never forget because I feel they will have a significant impact if I sincerely try to incorporate them into how I live my life.

What a blessing to know that I am a daughter of God, that He loves me, and that His plan is one that blesses and protects all who choose to follow Him.

     Oh, and I can hardly wait for General Conference in a week!



No comments:

Post a Comment