Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Running Fool

On September 25th it is my hope that I will be in Akron, Ohio running a half marathon. I blame credit Ayrel for getting me into this. 

My inspirations:
A longing for more energy and stamina
My friend Elaine's impressive results working with a trainer
Wanting to be in decent shape for Trek
Julie & Pierre's wedding

My Pace:
Much faster than our beagle, Theo
Faster than a tractor mowing hay
Equal to the rate of a hot air balloon's descent
Much slower than a speeding bullet
Much, much slower than the race horses on the practice track I have run alongside

Credits:
Mi Amor, whose support has been unconditional and 100+% from day one. He applauds my successes and won't let me wallow when I'm discouraged. He asks every single day about my progress and is extremely complimentary of my efforts.
My chillins, who also give me genuine and constant encouragement and even run with me when they are around. This is really good for me because I usually run solo, and it is a different experience.
Victor, my trainer, who could have snickered when I told him what I was thinking but instead makes me work hard and smart, and has given me some great tips (and a nifty water belt).
God, for making such a beautiful and diverse world that made each run unique. Things I see and hear along the way: beautiful sunrises; calm and sparkling waters; lizards, jackrabbits, birds, turtles, bullfrogs, fox, a coyote hauling a duck down a path; the very satisfying sound of horse hooves exploding against the ground; exquisite cloud formations; the lighting on the mountains that was different every day; doves cooing; peacocks screaming; wild parrots squawking; roosters crowing; cows mooing. One morning I even smelled the lovely aromas coming from the Delsucre cookie factory!

For a non-runner this has been quite the challenge. Every added mile was a triumph that left me feeling exhilerated for hours. Until I hit mile 8. That left me feeling exhausted and weak for almost 2 days. And then I learned a little bit about staying fueled, and mile 9 was not quite as bad.

2 comments:

  1. Um...how is the sound of a fox carrying a duck away "beautiful"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That goes under the heading of "Diverse & Unique"

    ReplyDelete