Saturday, March 31, 2012

Jake's Joggers

An idea is born:

When I was looking for a 5-K to help with my training for the Bear Lake Half I learned about an Autism Speaks race at Ascarate Park. I had previously been talking with two women at work , one with a 10-year old son who has autism and one with a 3-year old granddaughter just recently diagnosed. We talked about the event, a 5K run/1 mile walk, and they had enough interest in it for me to go ahead and form a team. Autism Speaks is an organization that focuses on autism awareness, screening and advocacy, a worthy cause indeed, and all the proceeds go to the organization! The team was created in honor of Jake, and he and Brei worked out the team's name: 



People loved learning about Jake from the information on the back of the entry form - I'm pretty sure it's what made people want to sign up. And I love the picture he and his mom chose for me to use!

                                                              Who’s Jake?

                        Jake is an incredible 10-year old boy. When he was 15 months old he could say the alphabet – forward & backwardS, and in French! He could count backwards from 100 faster than his grandmother. Today he loves school, reading, creating mazes and diagramming video games.


                       Jake was diagnosed with autism at the age of three, and because of his amazing attitude and that of his parents, as well as a strong support team in his school he is a thriving 5th grader. He participates in spelling bees, scouting, music and sports. He has many friends of every age.
                       He would love to have you join his team and walk or run to show your support for Autism Speaks on March 31, 2012.

Some of the people who wanted to sign up weren't able to because of conflicts, but it was pretty exciting to end up with 12 people on our team. Goodie bags seemed like an appropriate way to thank them for their support.  

 

 

 
Meet the team:
Juliana, who unwittingly became my right-hand man

Adrianna, Ann and Peggy (Alice is missing from picture)


The Cousins - Mary Louise and Scott


New Friends - Gloria and Astrid
(Astrid's mom is our receptionist)


The Gym Rats - Victor, Buddy and Estrella


Starting Line

 
And we're off - 184 runners strong!

Victor and Buddy cross the finish line first for Jake's Joggers (24:16!)


Almost at the finish line when Juliana surprises me from the sidelines
(which hopefully explains my goofy expression)

Estrella (aka Star Bright!) heads to the finish line

The women from Jensen Harmon & Co.
Who says accountants don't know how to have fun?

Gloria and Astrid got caught in some nasty construction traffic, arriving just as the gun went off, so they didn't have their numbers pinned on and didn't get an official time. This was their first race and they loved it. They are training for the Bataan Death March Marathon in one year. The way they ran today tells me they are going to do great!


A Surprise Ending:
Gold for Jake!!!

(And home in time to watch the first session of General Conference!)

4 comments:

  1. This was so great! I'm going to take your post and copy it to my blog if you don't mind. :) I showed Jake and he couldn't stop smiling and when he was done reading he said, "Aww, I reeeeeallly wish we could've been there!" Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, next time I think you guys should come! I found out that there is another 5K at Ascarate for autism in April, and I think that's the one where families and groups participate for awareness. There was none of that today - we had the only poster! I'm going to look at the one next month, and if you are ok with it, would like to consider doing it in 2013 - lots more time to plan and prepare!

      Delete
  2. Awesome!! Remember how I was supposed to run it too...up here...on the same day :) Wish I could've been there too. Go Jake's Joggers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plan on being here next time, ok??! The biggest team gets a trophy!

      Delete